Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Airport X-ray Test
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:14:23 +1000

I really can not see, what all the hype about airport security is.

A lot of you, dot seem to realize: It is for your safety. The airlines and the
people who administer the airports would gladly get rid of all the security. If
only it was possible.

But while idiotic fanatics, without regards for life, are prepared to even blow
themselves up, airport security is necessary.

In my opinion, quite often it is to lax. If I don't get checked thourorly, how
can I be share, that the next person (maybe a terrorist or maniac) does get
checked.

I have enough problems, sitting in an air plane, without having to worry, who
may have an explosive film cartridge in his back, or a gun somewhere hidden.

I am sure, If you are really worried about fogging undeveloped, or unexposed
film. Send it ahead by mail. In most civilized countries, you can by the film
you need. If you worried, that it does not arrive safely, think how much better
it is to loose some film. Instead your life and some film, when the plane
explodes.

As to the behavior of the security personnel. They may not all be brain
surgeons, But then most of us are not either, But they are doing a job. They
have thousands of patrons each day grissling and complaining to them about to
much security.

How would you like to be in their shoes, when, because of their negligence a
plane crashed and it could - and would - be traced back, to the security guard.

I bet you could no sleep anymore, thinking, you could have prevented the death
of a few hundred people, just by having been a bit more thoroughly or stuck to
your guns, when somebody complained about being searched.

I really dot envy the security guards.  I also noticed one thing: If you treat
them as proper human beings, they normally treat you the same way. But they
still have a job to do.

The reason for  security guards existence is not to annoy the public, but to
safeguard the public. They aren't the the bad once. The crooks, fanatics and
terrorist are the badies.

Thanks to all the security guards.

Regards, Horst Schmidt