Subject: [Leica] OT: British Open was : Re: interested in trading for an M6 system
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:59:54 -0700

On 11 Aug 99, Paul Chefurka wrote, at least in part:

> > > The 'Championship' commemorates the British Open. Cost $8000
> > >
> > > If interested, please respond directly.
> >
> > "British Open", what's that?
>
> A golf tournament.  You know golf - the perfect way to spoil a walk in the
> country...

That, sir, is "The Open Championship"! It was happening long
before others (particularly the US Open) came along and
deserves to be called what they want.

It is mainly us in the USA who are parochial enough about *our*
Open that insist on differentiating by calling it the British Open.

Thanks for taking the bait!  8^)

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

     Do not go where the path may lead, go instead
     where there is no path and leave a trail.
               -- Ralph Waldo Emerson