Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Print Development Time
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:10:45 -0400

Frank-
The times are whatever developes out the silver to the fullest extent
without fogging. I use 2 minutes with RC paper, but then, most have an
incorporated developer, and the RC base makes the action faster. FB papers
always seemed to have a thicker emulsion- some are even advertised as such!
and may require longer development. I use longer times for Gallerie.
The trick is to find a particular time for your paper, and STICK WITH IT.
Make adjustment with your exposure only, minimizing the variables makes for
more consistant results.
If you use an enlarging meter, meter the light from your enlarger so the
exposure would be the same as for the greatest shadow detail- open two
stops, and exposed several strips of paper to the same light.
Mark them 1 to whatever, 5 or 6, however many strips you do at one time. Put
them all in the developer at once, turning once to completely wet them,
agitate normally face down. At the end of one minute, take the one marked
"1" and put it in the stop. At the end of minute 2  put the one marked "2"
in the stop and so forth. Fix them, wash and dry as usual.
The shortest time that shows no increase in density between it and the next
longest time would be the optimum time for that given temp and developer,
and would be your 'standard time'- usually darkrooms remain pretty much the
same temp, so this would be your working time for that temperature, in that
developer and at that dilution for that paper.
This is why, if you want consistant results, the best plan is to limit your
paper choices to the ones that give you the results you want. Get to know
them and what they do- stick with them. Consistancy is next, only to
cleanliness, in the darkroom!
OOOPs- Fell of my soapbox!
Dan :o}~