Subject: Re: [Leica] "Pissed-off LUGGER"
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:42:05 -0700

Andrew writes:
>What does one's "name" matter, as long as the post is relevant?
>(or, was it?)

>How do we know that legitimate-sounding names aren't just psuedonyms
>(sp)?

Actually, everyone on this list could be using an assumed name.  I have met
Tina Manley and interacted with her.  I have met Gary Colby and interacted
with him.  I have not personally met anyone else on this list insofar as I
know.  Everyone else could be assumed personas.

What is a relevant post?  It would be a post that adds to my knowledge.  That
doesn't include the "me too" posts nor anonymous character assassinations.

The reason that a persons name matters is that this is a fairly serious
rangefinder user list.  People make decisions to buy or not to buy...to use
this technique or that...based upon the collective wisdom of this list.

Most of the list members are fairly sophisticated as regards photography.
Most of us can tell pure bullshit from pure truth (it is the in between that
will "get you").  The most valuable postings are the "been there, done that,
used this, used that" type of post.  Many of us that have been on the list for
a while have formed personal opinions  as to the capacity of the poster.
Before one is named a "rose," one must show that one has the characteristic
definition of a rose.  One does this by disclosing ones background and
experience.  "And each according to his value filed."

To post in the manner anonymous is a technique used by bored students on the
Usenet.  And to each his value filed.  To post anonymously on the LUG  while
practicing character assassination is a despicable act.

Regards, Bill Larsen
Terra Bella, CA, USA