Subject: Re: [Leica] NEW Leica screw,,Really?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 07:35:45 -0400

At 01:44 AM 8/11/1999 EDT, Tom Abrahamson wrote:
>I disagree with Cosina being "a piece of shit". It is cheap yes, but it is a
>highly capable camera. In 1953 a 3F cost about $160 with no lens and, though
>I don't have the cost index conversion handy, that is substantially more
than
>the Cosina Rangefinder at $400 is today. I would not say that the Cosina is
>better than the 3F or 3G, it isn't, but it has incorporated features that
are
>useful to me today. The meter is very good, as good as the one on the M6. It
>has a flash-synch of 1/125 and a top speed of 1/2000. It is made of plastic,
>it is noisier than the M or screwmount Leica and it will probably not last
40
>or 50 years without requiring service or several rebuilds, but I will not
use
>it as a substitute for a Leica, it will be a complementary camera instead,
>for those times when the features I need are not available on the Leica
>rangefinder.

Thanks, Tom, for your most interesting defence of the undefendable.  As to
the quality of the optics, the pictures I have seen printed of the 15mm's
performance do not bear out that it is "better" than the Zeiss Hologon.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!