Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Airport X-ray Test
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:15:22 -0400

Question was asked if anyone ever had film damaged when passing through
Xrays.
I can say yes; once when I was forced to send film through, and again when I
did my own personal test of the system locally.

Others have volunteered security at Heathrow is the best (worst).
I've passed through there countless times over the years and have always had
a hand check of my film bag accomplished.
I carry no credential that gives me special privilege, nor do I know any of
the persons on the 'other side' of the fence.  It just happens.
Maybe it's because the film is in a Crown Royal velvet bag with draw string?
Wishful thinking on the inspectors' part?

[Will admit to an odd thing at HTR once; was asked to go through 'secondary
check' on the way IN to the country.  They weren't interested in looking in
my bags or under my shorts, but at my shoes!  Weird.  I was asked to take
them off; they unlaced them, pulled the tongue out, ran a scanner over them,
looked deep inside (phew!), handed them back and sent me on my way.
I did have to relace them though.]
I've heard (later) there are certain perversions....

Two special notes about the Xray issue:
1.) Nobody has offered information the devices are actually 'film safe'
(save that article by the British Photo Journal).  Therefore it is accepted
Xray machines are NOT safe for film, right?
2.) Nobody has suggested the security check be avoided or superceded. In
fact, offering a separate bag of 'highly suspect' material for intense hand
check is doing the security one better- making it easier for accurate
determination (which running through on the belt wouldn't give a full bag of
film), and more convenient for those grumpy travelers following along in
line.

All this stuff about making it to your destination in one piece has little
to do with the issue of having the film damaged.