Subject: [Leica] Re: Mounting and viewing with an M lens
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 07:46:02 -0700

I always do this. And you obviously know, that I know, how the M system
works. The reason for mounting and focusing the M lens is to "get the feel"
of it. Does it focus "smoothly", is there any "play" is there any focus
"backlash" ? These are the important things to look for.

About three weeks ago there was a used 35/1.4, non ASPH, for $695 at KSP.
Glass was perfect. Focus and f/stop rings were worn from use. I was
interested. After mounting the lens and putting the camera to my eye, I
found backlash in the focus mechanism. This is difficult to spot unless you
are looking through the viewfinder, watching the split image NOT MOVE while
you move the focus ring. This is also the best way to detect tight spots in
the focusing continuum. I did not buy the lens.

Actually, mounting and testing the lens mechanism, is smart, not stupid.

Jim