Subject: Re: [Leica] Print Development Time
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:58:33 -0700

Frank Filippone wrote:

> ".......Phillips Tri color head which made automatic ring arounds in his
> black and white printing........"
>
> Mark Rabiner, was this the original color head, implemented in B+W?  I have
> heard several comments on this head, but never saw one...
>
> BTW, there is a guy trying to make a color LED head.  Price will be high,
> but consistency should be great.
>
> Frank

This was a while back as you know and I never saw one in person but I read some
stuff on it then that you would expect. They used pulsing flashtubes like for
your strobe and I think each color was sequential making dodging and burning a
question. But a ring around is sure a nice thing if we ever played with
Photoshop and AA sure seemed to think so. RGB were the colors making it an
additive head producing richer colors in the print they said and others agreed.
Filtering a white head is subtractive color CMYB BAD, BAD, BAD!

An LED safelight seems logical and are out there but as the wavelength is
intrinsically red I can't see how it could be used as an enlarger head which
needs a lot of Green, Blue, even white which is all colors.

Pulsing flashtubes in my damp darkroom would make me nervous. I believe the
exact same head was used for B&W as well as color.
Mark Rabiner