Subject: AW: [Leica] Erwin's adventures in digiland. part 1 and 2
From: Michael Dienert <MDienert@foq.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 16:28:16 -0000

hello jean-claude,

on your monitor, every pixel is coded as a 24 bit - word. 8 bit for each
of the colors red, green and blue. this way the intensity of every of
the 3 electron beams of your cathode ray tube can be modulated in 255
steps.

if you want to print the image on a printer you cannot modulate the dot
size the ink nozzels produce with such a high (8bit = 255 steps)
resolution. therfore one uses a trick: every 'pixel' on the printout is
printed as a matrix of eg. 2x2 or 4x4 ink-drops.
using the 2x2 matrix the resolution of your printer is diveded by 4 but
you gain a factor of 4 to represent the intensity (density).

using the 4x4 matrix the resolution is decreased by 16.

yours

michael