Subject: [Leica] Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: achurak@cusa.canon.com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 99 16:01:46 -0500

       The negative size of 35mm  x vs  medium format ( 6 x 6 cm )
        or ( 6 x 7 cm ) alone is a disadvantage. When you have
        a good size enlargements made 11 x 14 or 16 x 20 size,
        the quality of the print will not be grain free. If you have
        enlarged a 35mm negative and enlarged it to the above sizes,
        the grain will be noticeable. The professional films that are
        available in 120 and 220 sizes are basically the same as in
        35mm with a few exceptions. When judging color slides
        side by side , the larger format one always look sharper.
        Just lay on any lightbox 35mm, 6x6 cm, 6x7cm, 4x5 inch,
        color slides  and compare all of them with a loupe.
        The larger slides will appear sharper. If you want crisper,
       sharper,
        larger images and do not care about the added bulk and
       slowness
        of medium format go for the Hasselblad system.

        I have always been using 35mm and medium format cameras
        on tripods, with mirrors prereleased ( locked up ) and
        using fine grain films asa 50 to 100 in speed. This is to
       minimize
        vibration and to get the most out of lens and film
       combination.
        You can try to hand hold both types of cameras. The best way
       is
        run your own personal testing and see what works out for
        your subject matter and method of photography.

        In the old days Kodak used to market Panatomic X B&W film,
        ASA 32. I have used it in 35mm  cameras and developed it
        with Microdol X developer.
        I found out that it was the best combination for my style of
        photography, now I use Ilford Pan F plus ISO 50 film.

       Opions are mine and not of my employer.

       Andrew Churak

       NO ARCHIVE

       >I'd be interested in how you feel about 16X20 prints from
       Leica versus