Subject: Re: [Leica] "Chaos"...
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:38:22 -0700

><snip>
> he's my favorite, too. He has being doing panoramic work for last several
> years. One of the more known works is the book "Black Triangle",><snip>
> When he was here in Seattle for Magnum show few years back, he mentioned
> that he had to take some assignments now and then since the cost of the
> film was much higher than for the 35mm.
>
> As for his technique, I don't know what equipment he is using.
>
> It's ironic that he is apparently not much known in Czech Republic. When my
> brother was looking for his books over there in bookstores for me, he got
> some blank looks, "Koudelka? Who's that?".
>
> Jiri Dvorak

Of course it is very dumb for me to be saying he is my very favorite if I have
seemingly no clue as to what he has been doing for the last ten years. I do keep
looking for his stuff though. My favorite were the Gypsies with the wings all in
white. My impression was he woke up after sleeping under a park bench to shoot
them. Did not have the "pull over to the side of the road and get the shot"
look. Of course either does Moonrise and it was.
Your name sounds familiar don't you have a column in a magazine?
As to the Czech bookstore possibly it was "Koudelka? which one?".
If you are saying he said "the cost of the film was much higher than for the
35mm." Then he would be doing those panaramics with brownie film. 6x12 or 6x17.
It blows me away I haven't seen any of that stuff of his.
I'd love to work in 6x12.
Mark Rabiner