Subject: RE: [Leica] 21mm vs 24mm
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:19:18 -0600

>Jean-Claude, Greg, Eddie, Wilbur
>
>Thank you! Your comments are VERY helpful.
>
>There are plenty of numbers about 28-24-21 lenses but surprisingly
>little subjective prose about their application. That the
>focal-lengths and angles of view are so close to one another makes
>evaluation  -- without making photos with each -- hard.
>
>I found Eddie's remark 'BTW, I use this lens without the additional
>finder attached on my M6' and Jean-Claude's 'IMO, a 24 mm is still an
>ordinary lens.' to be particularly useful in understanding what the
>difference might be between the 24 and the 21.
>
>I am indeed looking for an 'ordinary' lens (albeit very wide) for
>general use, mostly for photos of people with lots of context.
>
>I haven't been able to find photographs of similar views taken with
>each lens -- the Brian Bower book's photos are not very helpful in
>this regard since they are landscape/architecture. Can anyone point
>me to good examples for comparison among 28-24-21mm M lenses, either
>online or in print?
>

>AUSTIN.

Right now I have a number of pictures made with the 24. I will try to
have them up on the web soon - check with me next week for this.

I too just went through the "which wide lens should I buy" torment and I
ended with the 24. (I now have the 24, the 35 f2 Ashp, 50 f2, 90 f2.8M)

I based this selection on my prior experience with Nikon stuff when I had
20, 24, 28, 35, on up. I still have the 20 and some longer Nikon glass -
the rest cleared out to make room for my Leica gear.
I find the 20 a bit difficult for all-round use. I used the Nikon 24 a
lot, the 28 some and the 35 was and is kind of my normal lens.

Taking into account the cost of Leica glass I felt that I would  be well
served by only the 4 lenses I mentioned and I am quite pleased with the
range I have.

This 24 is excellent, very sharp, very flat, very little distortion, very
flare free. I can think of no downside to it except the seperate finder
(you'll get that with the 21 too).
I may start using it without the finder to see how that works. The finder
is remarkably accurate in framing, just a little slow and clumsy.

I think the 24 is kind of "ordinary" - The pictures do not look
distorted! Just a lot of wide perspective that I like so much. The Leica
24 is much sharper, flatter and just plain better for me than the Nikon
24 lens I owned for many years with the same great view.

So, I guess I'm saying buy the 24 - you'll like it.

Henry