Subject: Re: [Leica] depressed about investment
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:59:50 -0400

Tina!
Spoken like a true pro! But here again- it is what the pro does with his
(oops, HER) tools! I am sure that a good doctor, even with a stethoscope
from K-Mart, could tell you more about what he was hearing than the layman.
That doesn't mean that the pro has a surfeit of this and that in the bag-
usually just what is needed to do the job! I can admire the beauty of a big
ole tripod with a huge, smooth operating ball head, and a really flash bag
with ballistic nylon, and rubberized bottoms, with Delrin zippers and a lot
of nice fol-der-ol, but if I were in your situation, hacking through the
bush, humping everything you need on your back, slogging through gawdawful
swamps and fighting bugs big enough to have numbers painted on them, then
you appreciate a light, but sturdy tripod, a bag that is waterproof and
doesn't beat you to death, and a good pair of hiking boots!
Even now, I am trying to simplify my photographic life- settling on one or
two lenses to take for whatever I plan to do ( surprisingly with a 35mm or
28mm, more and more!), an hand held meter, and the smallest bag I can get
away with. I find that I spend more time thinking about WHAT I plan to
shoot, and less on HOW or WHAT TO USE!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pro know pretty much what the subject will
be, and the range of conditions under which that subject will be
photographed, and needs only that equipment necessary to do the job...?!?

I still think too, that you or anyother pro here could even manage to get a
few good images with even a P&S if push came to shove!
BTW- Tina- what kind of insect repellant do the pros recommend, in places
like Honduras!? My wife can go into the back yard, and she immediately
becomes a 'skeeter' buffet, and dessert for all sorts of pesky gnats, midges
and bloodsucking varmints of various caliber! She needs a professional
strength 'skeeter' dope really bad!

Dan