Subject: Re: [Leica] m2
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 15:22:34 -0700

>To Marc and Mark,
>Some things die hard don't they? There is nothing wrong with plastic
>eyeglass lenses. Why would anybody want to walk around with twice the wait
>sitting on their nose. I know that both of you won't beleive it but they DO
>NOT scratch. Oh, maybe if you take a scew driver and drag it across the lens
>but the gentle rubbing against a brass viewfinder will leave nary a mark
>(oops) scratch.
>Steve
>Annapolis

They scratch. Glass glasses scratch. Plastic eyeglasses scratch faster, at
a rate depending on the plastic and the coatings. If I use a camera a lot
that doesn't have a rubber rim around the eyepiece I can hardly see out of
my right eye (shooting eye) in half a year wearing the hardest plastic
lenses I can find. With glass they last twice as long. The weight
difference is slight, since the refractive index of the best plastic lenses
is not as high as that of the best glass lenses, so the glass lenses can be
made thinner.

Still, I wear plastic lenses as I go into a lot of construction sites, and
play sports where stuff can fly at my eyes and the (lightweight) glass
lenses would easily break. I definitely cannot afford to lose my sight.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com