Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos at the Vatican???
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:27:39 -0700

Don't know about current construction, but when I've been in the Sistine
in the past they have guards watching for people taking pictures, but
they mostly watch for the flashes, which they'll react to if they can
spot you. People take pictures anyway, sometimes they're caught,
sometimes not. Your'e safer with an M6 and relatively high speed film,
but the ceiling is pretty high. I think they're more worried about light
from flashes damaging the paint. I'd go ahead and do it after a quick
look around to see if anyone's paying attention, but make it quick and
don't use a flash.
Don't know about the Japanese exclusive rights, I would have though it
unlikely until I read an article in the New Yorker last year about how
the Vatican sold all its rights to a California con artist and it's now
in the courts of course...

And I'm sure you already know to wear respectable clothing when you go
there...

Dave Yoder