Subject: Re: [Leica] Flat Panel Displays (slightly OT)
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 05:29:05 -0400

At 22:24 -0500 14/08/99, Henry Ambrose wrote:
. . .
>>My wife has long been frustrated by the snarl of cables and the sheer mass of
>>my (our, really) set-up -- currently a Dell 400 with a 17" display, plus a
>>scanner and two printers. She's discovered the new NEC Z1, with a 15" flat
>>panel and a wireless keyboard, all fitting in a footprint of about 10" x
>>12", and wants to "upgrade."

	--> you problem is NOT the equipment proper, Sir:
	it's very probably the way you've set it up
	that could be improved upon. Think "reach",
	height, and, where many women are concerned,
	how it LOOKS in HER DECOR . . . !
	I've related with many women in sales situations
	and the IMPRESSION and BEAUTY is always
	of paramount importance. So ? I go one up
	and aggravate / maximize their idea and try my
	best to let them ENJOY their purchase even more.
	Spending money can also be FUN to women, ... too.    :-))

	--> the flat panels are here to stay but they generally
	have specs, dot size wise, that belong with the
	"general use" monitors rather than photo or image or CAD
	directed models. If your wife has it in her mind,
	just get the wallet ready. Check out the IBM T55
	then, if STYLING is any consideration (and I'm 100%
	positive it is !), at http://www.ibm.com
	under "products" / "peripherals". YES the SGI is considered
	the best one currently available but it's around $5000.
	$5000 can get you a lot of monitor + a new slide scanner +
	a graphics board + a night out at a fancy place you both enjoy +
	a new dress and fashion accessories, plus a new perfume.
	My take, here, I'm 100% sure, is that
	she's not satisfied with the way it looks
	and they way you have to go about the photo editing
	process. Think of it as a "trip" and make it more fun
	by improving how it's organized, taking the time
	to run the cables UNDER shelves, where they show the least.
	It may be something as stupid as getting to be frustrated
	when she does her dusting / cleaning chores.

	--> Am I going to go into a FURNITURE situation ? No.
	[ I know better, but that could be what it is all about. ]

	--> you also COULD get a wireless keyboard. Not that expensive
	and it makes a lot of sense, with time proven technology, IRDA 1.1
	Can be used for printers just the same.
	Just type "IRDA 1.1" in your search engine and you should
	find the more up-to-date models.

	--> if the way your computer set-up looks underpar
	to her, she's going to find ways to get to a point
	where she's satisfied. Be aware of this unconscious
	motive, too. She's obviously fashion conscious,
	what woman is not ?
	Try to trace where she could have seen a flat panel
	in advertising: that would help you get to a mutually
	satisfying and more enduring solution.

	--> does your system look sharp or is it just another
	"old" computer . . . ?

	Best regards,  (I hope I come through as positive)

	Andre Jean Quintal