Subject: [Leica] Re: R8 thoughts
From: Jay Coleman <jcoleman@interport.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:33:51 -0400

Greg:

I'm glad someone has come to the defense of the R8.  I knew Ted would,
but it's nice to see someone else.  I have been using the R8 for about
three years now.  I have used all the Leica SLRs since the R5 (R5, R6
and R7).  I like the R8 best.  I like the size and weight of the R8; it
fits in my hand and I find it easy to hold still for long exposures.
The camera balances especially well with some of the larger R lens
(80/1.4 and up [in size]).  The shutter release is the smoothest, it's
the most robust, in practice as well as in feeling.  It is true that I
am on my second R8; my first R8 was replaced under Passport because a
metering circuit failed.  It was replaced promptly.  Would it have been
promptly enough if I were a professional and needed it everyday?  I
don't know.  But if I were a professional I would probably have had a
backup body; also, my dealer probably would have given me a loaner.  The
second R8 has worked fine.   I don't know if this a complement to the R8
or a bad comment on other Leica R bodies, but I have had problems with
every R body.  And for you electronic haters out there, the mechanical
R6 was the worst (in three times, although two times it was the flash/
metering circuitry).   All were fixed under Passport with no problem,
but unlike others on the list, I certainly don't find the R8 to be any
worse; in fact, I find it to be better.  And I would (and may) get
another R8.

In addition, as I commented when the R8 first came out, it is the most
Leica-like of the Rs since the SL2.  And, I go out on a limb here, it's
better -- because of the automation, the range of shutter speeds, the
choice of metering patterns, etc.  I know some on the list feel real men
don't need these features, but I (and most SLR users -- vide the EOS and
F5) beg to differ.

As for the lenses, there is no question.  They are great.  I am still
working on the perfect combo (I think that means all of them).

I just got an M6 and like that too so far.  Different feeling.  Not as
easy to use (no automation).  But it is much lighter (I don't know how
Ted walks with all the R equipment he carries ; )) and I really like
what I see from the lenses so far.    Also working on the perfect lens
combo which I would like to be complementary to the R and not
duplicative.

As for the 5000 R8 bodies supposedly unsold, I doubt that Leica would
run up such a big inventory given the demand.  I do believe, however,
that the rebates we are seeing in the U.S. (to $1995, not $1495) mean
that a replacement for the R8, or an addition to the line, is on the way
shortly.  Or it could just be the strength of the dollar.

Just my thoughts.

Jay Coleman,
satisfied R8 user