Subject: [Leica] SLR choice
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:41:56 -0400

Leicaflex SL-2. I LOVED this one! I liked the build quality, the bright
viewfinder and the fact that I could see all of it with my glasses on,
and wind on with my left eye pressed to the eyepiece. It's big but it
felt inspring. My reservations are about maintenance. Does anybody have
any comments about this? What are common problems? Are parts available?
If they are, are the prices getting inflated? A second, more minor,
reservation is the split image focussing screen. Am I likely to get
darkening with an f3.5 lens?  Finally, what do people consider the
correct price range for this body?

Leicafles SL and Leicaflex. Great prices, but the handling didn't "work"
for me. Pity.
<<<

Simon,

I like the handling of the SL much more than any of the R3 - R7 bodies (I
use my left eye, too) so you've made my SL-2 hunger even worse.  I'm not
fond of split-image viewscreens so I'd get an SL viewscreen installed.

Don't overlook the R4sP.  It has aperture preferred spot and average
metering, as well as manual spot metering, it has had none of the early R4
problems, and the cost of a good user is only slightly higher than the cost
of an SL .

Doug Herr
Sacramento