Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summilux (non-ASPH)
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:04:59 +0000

Friends

Last Friday, my "second" 35 Summilux arrived from Rhode Island.  My first
one was sold after I acquired the 35 Summicron-ASPH and thought that I did
not need a lens in which there is so much disquiet about its performance at
f1.4-2.0.  Little did I know that the 35 Summilux is one lens which "one
will not miss until one has lost it."  When I saw my friend using my
ex-lens, it became increasingly obvious that I am missing it a lot.  Yes,
sharp lenses are plentiful but another lens with the finger-printing (if I
may use the language of our own dear Erwin Puts) of the 35 Summilux is hard
to find and can only be achieved with another similar lens.

After searching high and low, I found a seller with a decent and affordably
priced lens.  His lens offered for sale was even more attractive.  With a
serial number of #352xxxx, this lens is of latter vintage and that means it
is multicoated as well.  This is better than my ex-lens which is not likely
to be multicoated since its S/N is under #32*****.

When the first roll of test shot became available today, I realised that I
actually missed the ethereal-like GLOW that this lens is capable of when
used wide open.  The purist with a penchant for sharpness might scoff at
this so called attribute but the artist will find this a most creative
characteristic.

Used at f1.4 - 2.0, this lens is capable of an "sharp yet unsharp" image
with some vignetting at the corners and plenty of BOKEH.  At f2.8 and
beyond, I would be hard pressed to distinguish it from the non-asph 35
Summicron used at the same aperture.

This lens is a keeper.  Its 30-year run in production is even more
remarkable and it's production was discontinued only recently.

Dan K.

                     The humble little coffee bean is behind the largest
                             trade on planet earth.