Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw to M adapters
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:53:16 +1000

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 10:03 PM 8/14/1999 +0200, Paul Coresect wrote:
>  >Can anyone tell me what lenses will fit on what?
> >I have a III, and a Zorki 4K and the lenses are obviously not compatible.
> Which
> >is 39mm? (roughly measuring them leads me to assume the zorki is 39mm
> >(therefore compatible with the new Voigtlander/cosina lenses, right?)).
>
> The ARE identical.  Both use the same 39mm by 26tpi thread selected by
> Oscar Barnack.  The lenses should be completely interchangeable.  I
> regularly use Russian lenses on my IIIc and IIIf and have used Leica lenses
> on my FED and Zorki cameras, when I owned such.
>
> The same is not true of Prewar FED's, incidentally.
>
> Marc

Marc, Lots of the metal work on the russian lenses, I had a Jupiter 50mm f2
and  another lens, a 50mm f2.8, are made of aluminium. The thread can very
easily get damaged. They then have a tendency to jam when screwed in to a
precision thread. Like a Leica adapter or  LTM camera. However the russian made
threads seem to be a bit more sloppy, especially after a lot of use. The
lenses, even with slight damage on the thread will still mount ok.

Regards, Horst Schmidt