Subject: Re: [Leica] R8- Universal focusing screen / ground glass screen
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:37:55 -0700

Dick Hemmingway wrote:

>Is the ground glass in the ground glass screen different from the ground
>glass around the outside of the universal focusing screen??
>
>Do you see the same on the ground glass on both screens.  I read something
>that the surround on the universal focusing screen is small prisms - not
>ground glass??
>
>I'm thinking of getting the ground glass screen but if it is the same as
>the general ground glass screen - I will probably wait a little.>>>>>

Hi Dick,

Don't have to wait, just order it or have it installed.  The all ground
glass screen will give you much better focusing than the distracting
Universal screen.

I've always switched screens in my R and other SLR machines to full ground
glass as the ground glass affords a much better screen to work on for macro
and tele lenses.  I've also found they work well with the wide angles also.

It's too bad one can't have the option of screen when buying the R8 and not
have to buy a second screen. But that's part of the equipment bits and
pieces marketing. :)

Dick you'll be only too glad to switch to full ground glass.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant