Subject: [Leica] E. Europe/Leicas
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:20:46 EDT

I'm back from 2 wks in eastern Europe, happy to report that my 2 M6's and
lenses functioned perfectly and returned intact.  I had initially opted for
the 15-28-50-90 combo, but at the last moment substituted the 35 ASPH
Summicron for the 28 because I wanted another f/2 lens besides the 50.  I
came to regret that decision, because of having to grind my glasses into the
eyepiece and twist from side to side to see the 35 frameline (and I have a
.72 finder!).  Finally I switched to my spare glasses which are smaller, sit
closer to my eyes and are more flexible, and the problem was slightly
lessened.  As is always the case with me, with any camera system, the
"normal" lens was the one I used the most.  I used the "latest" 35-50-90
lenses because I specifically wanted top performance wide open so that I
could shoot handheld at lower light levels, but compared to my '70's-vintage
lenses the new ones are quite a bit larger and heavier which becomes very
apparent after walking a few km with them.  My Domke F4XB shoulder-belt bag
was perfect for the kit; low-profile, secure (waist and shoulder straps) and
small enough to carry on the metro and tour-bus without requiring a seat of
its own!  It also kept my Leicas bone-dry on a long walk in an unexpected
downpour in Vienna. (The same downpour prevented me from visiting the Leica
Shop there...major bummmer!)
I found myself using the Heliar 15mm extensively in castles, churches and
museums.  It is a tiny, light lens and the finder is amazingly bright.  The
DOF is so great that lack of rangefinder coupling is a non-issue.  I was not
sorry I didn't bring a 21mm lens (I spent all my time in cities, otherwise I
would have missed a 21).  I used the 90 Elmarit least of all,  but
nonetheless it was indispensible for detail shots of intricate building
features, and also at concerts and opera performances.  For the latter I
switched to Fuji 800.  Incidentally, I opted to shoot negative film (Royal
Gold 100 and a couple rolls of TCN and XP2) for the trip for a few reasons:
1) I knew I'd be shooting a lot at mid-day in contrasty situations, 2)
Wouldn't have much time to fiddle with exposure or bracket shots, 3) Negs
scan as good or better and retain their greater tonal range when printed, and
4) everyone I know would rather look at an album than sit through a slideshow
(my fault there, I'm sure).  Experience I've had with Royal Gold 100 in the
past has been superb, so I'm looking forward to the results.
As a somewhat-collector and avowed camera-nut, I of course had my eyes peeled
on the hordes of tourists.  I did not see even one single M Leica.  But to
put this in proper perspective, I saw *no* Contaxes at all, and only 2 Leica
R's (an elderly R3 with an elderly 50 Summilux carried by an equally elderly
gentleman, and one R8 with a 28-70 3.5-4.5).  I saw one Nikon F5 (again, with
a slow 24-120 zoom), one pristine black F2 with the DP-12 finder, and one
Nikkormat FTn.  By contrast, there were hundreds of lower-level AF SLR's and
(estimating) thousands of AF P&S's.  There were also a few digital P&S's and
a large number of compact camcorders.  I felt very secure carrying $$$ of
Leicas around, as it seemed as if no one gave it a second glance.  Only when
I had both M6's out did tourists stop me...and that was to ask me to take
their group picture with their P&S (evidently I "looked like a pro" with 2
cameras around my neck).
One Leica-user (but not carrying his Leica at the time) stopped me in the
street in Prague to talk Leicas and give me his website URL where there are
some very nice images to be seen.  It is worth checking out:
http://www.kocman.com

I'm hoping to be able to post some images from my trip to a personal web page
(if I can figure out how to do it).