Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinding with x2 convertors
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:25:40 +0100

Doug Richardson wrote:

>The recent discussion concerning x1.4 and x2 convertors makes me
>wonder how one focusses the 'converted' lens? I'd always understood
>that 135mm was the practical limit for the Leica rangefinder, and that
>even the longer-based pre-war Contax finder had barely been able to
>cope with the shallow depth of field of the Zeiss RF coupled 180mm.
>
>Does the two-stop reduction in aperture reduce the DOF enough to match
>rangefinder accuracy?

I've no idea how the Komura converter works in this respect - but my
recollection is that it wasn't that great anyway. I do, however, have the
Komura viewfinder for this converter, which I bought aeons ago as I picked
up a 200/4.5 LTM Komura lens very cheaply and needed something to aim it
with. The lens performs well enough stopped down to about f5.6 and I can't
recall having major focussing problems either with my IIIF or my Canon 7.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists