Subject: Re: [Leica] Minimum focusing distance with M3
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:44:13 -0400

At 08:38 PM 8/18/1999 -0400, Robert Beaudoin wrote:
>  Regarding the above topic, I recently used a late production M3 with .8
>meter minimum focusing distance.  I carefully checked the distance many
>times with two different lenses.  Now not long ago a fellow lugger confirmed
>that his M3 had a MFD of .7 meter.  Anybody knows if Leitz changed gradually
>the MFD of the M3 from 1 meter to .9 then .8 and .7 meter?  Any idea of the
>serial numbers?

I just had this discussion off-line with several folks.  There does not
seem to have been any change in the M3's construction during its production
life, but different repair folks will adjust the minimum focusing
differently.  In general, though, it was intended to have a minimun
distance of .9 to 1 m.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!