Subject: Re: [Leica] questions on computer for photo work
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 01:00:26 -0600

Doug McLernon wrote:

> The general feeling amongst the Arts faculty people seems to favour Mac over
> PC for Image manipulation. I intend to purchase a Nikon LS2000 and the Epson
> photo printer. Should I change the habits of the past fifteen years and go
> Mac. I shall retain a 166 Pentium for any economic work I may undertake as a
> consultant.

Back before Windows95 Release 2, I might've suggested the Mac. Not
anymore!

The Mac upgrade situation is pretty grim: During the brief Mac cloning
era, it seemed that we might be able to buy ATX-standard Mac
motherboards from the likes of Motorola, and thereby build and upgrade
our own Macs cheaply, using parts stocked locally by thousands of small
dealers. But Steve "Think Different" Jobs put a stop to that, so today,
we have attractive Macs that seem largely non-upgradeable by 3rd
parties. Case in point: The iMac's processor is readily replaced, but
it's on a card containing the ROMs, so 3rd parties wishing to produce
upgrades must be licensed by Apple to use the proprietary bits, and
Apple has shown no inclination to allow this, hence, you can't upgrade.
The blue G3 boxes are wonderfully easy to open for adding RAM; The iMac
is a pain in the butt. The most economical-to-upgrade box is probably
going to be one you build yourself, from industry-standard bits. I do
favor using PCI expansion cards rather than ISA, and USB devices over
PS/2, parallel, serial, and, where speed's not critical, SCSI as well.
These newer standards have really removed a lot of the fuss of upgrades.

For Photoshop, I really don't think that overkill CPU power is so big a
deal, at least not for the relatively simple sorts of photo
manipulations I'm doing: cropping, resizing, masking, dodging,
burning-in. My Celeron 300a is overclocked to 450, and it has *not* been
the performance bottleneck of my system. Intel goofed with this econo
chip, as it's really, really good and really cheap (refer to
www.tomshardware.com and www.theregister.co.uk). This chip cost me
around $75.

But having enough RAM is vital if you value your sanity! Buy a 128 or
256 megabyte stick of PC100 or PC133 RAM, and if your system begins to
swap to disk excessively, buy another.
My system currently has 64 megabytes, which actually works fairly well
at 8 x 10 @ 720 dpi, but is swapping to disk rather a lot. At 1440 dpi,
I'm waiting for hours for printouts as the computer swaps to disk almost
nonstop.

And yes, if money were no object, I'd love to go with an Ultra-Wide SCSI
disk array, or any other solution which gives fast, sustained
throughput. But it's not so big a deal if you have enough RAM to avoid
most disk swapping, so usually, I employ these only on servers, not on
desktop systems. I use a Maxtor DiamondMax 8.4G UDMA drives and have
found them a very fine buy at $100-150/ea. I'll admit I've generated
some Photoshop files in the 600 megabyte range, and for temporary
storage, I am looking into Castlewood's Orb drive. I hope that the local
labs support it, as it'd be great for bringing home drum scans too.

By the way, I buy most of my computer bits from www.thechipmerchant.com;
good folks.

Jeff