Subject: Re: [Leica] questions on computer for photo work
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 01:32:01 -0600

"Henning J. Wulff" wrote:

> Except for the iMac, there aren't too many Macs or clones that you can't
> upgrade to a 450Mhz G3 or similar.

For a price:

$150 will buy you a brand-new top-notch PC motherboard with AGP and 100
mHz FSB. A 450 mHz/100 mHz FSB. An  AMD K6-3  costs $190
(www.thechipmerchant.com)

A 466 mHz Mac G3 upgrade by Newer Technology sells for $749.95
(www.macconnection.com) but RAM still operates at 50 mHz or so. Mac
motherboards are very, very expensive.

I see no Mac upgrades beyond 466 mHz, and nothing at all for late
models, including the iMac and blue G3s.

The main reason to pay extra for a Mac today is because you like the way
it's packaged. Nothing wrong with wanting a bit of style in your life:
The iMac is one of the few computers which looks nicely finished from
all angles. Some folks take a "who cares what it looks like!" attitude
towards computers, but I say, if you gotta stare at it for hours, looks
*do* count.

Jeff