Subject: Re: [Leica] Tokyo visit report (Cosina 35/1,7)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:20:34 EDT

I have been using the 35/1,7 Cosina lens in screwmount for the last 2 weeks.
My judgement is based on checking negs with a 30 times magnifier as I have
not had a chance to print anything yet. Sharpness and contrast is excellent,
contrast is medium high (not as 'snappy" as the 35/2 Asph or the 35/1,4
Asph), but more like the pre-Asph Leica 35's. Sharpness is very good, even
wide open it holds together well. Very slight vignetting wide open, but this
disappears as you stop down to 2,8.
 Physical aspects of the lens are interesting; it is a rather large lens,
almost the size of the 50/2 Summicron. It is considerably "chunkier" than the
Heliar and Skopar. I suspect that the composition of the alloy is different
and it does feel much more substantial than the 15 and 25 lenses. It has a
39mm filter-thread (inside thread) and the hood, which is a very shallow
ring, has an internal thread with matching external thread on the lens
barrel. It is obvious that the hood is supposed to be left on at all time! It
could be that Cosina is worried about flare, although I haven't seen any
tendency for that in the short time I have used the lens. The lens is
comfortable to hold, good knurling on the focussing ring and a commendably
smooth focus action. The aperture ring has proper ½ stop clicks on it, with
good smooth action and no binding.
 I find it interesting that Cosina made this lens heavier and better built
mechanically than the Heliar. The latter has a very lightweight feel to it;
the alloy on the lensbarrel is prone to marks. (it is still an outstanding
lens optically and Cosina might have been a bit misguided in the effort to
make it as light as possible). The 35/1,7 feel like it would hold up under
heavy use with no problems. The current price in Tokyo is yen 65000 in chrome
and yen 68000 in black and it is possible to get 10% off these prices.
 Today the weather is nice and sunny in Vancouver so I might wander out and
shoot some 32 ASA black/white film with the 35/1,7 and see what that looks
like.
 The other test is of course if the Cosina can capture Jim Lager on the film.
Jim and his wife were in Vancouver for three days and I used the Cosina
extensively to see if the author of the best Leica books printed would be
registered on the film when shot with a non-Leica lens!
 On the question of the 60/1.2 Hexanon, the framelines used are dependent on
the adapter used. The 60/1,2 is a screwmount lens and you would get the
framelines that the adapter keys in. The 60 finder supplied with the finder
is very good. Same construction and quality as the old Leica SBOOI finder. I
have found that you can safely use the 60 without any auxiliary finder, just
put the 50mm adapter on the camera and subtract a fraction from the
framelines shown. The 60 is a very pleasant lens to use, performance wise it
is not up to Noctilux standard, but it is certainly no slouch. My suspicion
is that when the Konica Hexar-2 with the M-mount is released, this lens will
be made available as a "premium" 50 with the M-mount on it.
The small production run of only 800 in screwmount is most likely a trial
run. The lenses are numbered in a 3 digit/800 fashion (mine is 524/800). It
is still an expensive lens and I think that the Noctilux is a better deal, if
you need that speed.
 I am looking forward to picking up my 75/2,5 and the 50/1/5 in Tokyo next
month. The smallish, lightweight 75/2,5 is something that I have been wanting
for a long time (since I got my first 75/1.4 in November of 1981). I like the
focal length and if I need the speed of the 1,4, the Summilux is the only way
to go, but sometimes you want something more portable. If the Cosina 75/2,5
holds up performance wise it would make a nice part of a "travel" pack,
15/4,5, 21/2,8 Asph, 35/1,4 Asph, 50/2,75/2,5 and the 135/4 (or 3,4 APO), a
couple of M6's and a couple of M2's - You could cover most everything with
that kit and still be able to carry it with you for a long hike.
Sun is out - 32 ASA is in the camera and I am going shooting for fun!
Tom A