Subject: [Leica] Re: The sound of falling
From: Ericplatt@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:43:02 EDT

I'm blaming each and every one of you for this.  If this thread had not been
posted, then the events that transpired yesterday would not have happened.
You are all responsible.

My wife and I drove out to western Minnesota yesterday (just to see what we
could see).  While photographing the biggest ball of twine (in Darwin, MN) I
decided the 35/3.5 would serve beautifully (hey, it is a big ball of twine,
40 tons or so).  So, I pop the lens on, start focusing, and "pop" off the
lens comes.  My fault, I didn't secure it on tight enough.  Down it goes,
about five and a half feet to the concrete sidewalk below.  Then it bounces
in the roadway.  Luckily no cars were driving by at the time.  I can honestly
state that the sound is a dull thud, following by the thud of your heart
nearly stopping.  Yes, I realize this is a really cheap lens to most folks,
but it is still "real" money to me.  I bend over to pick it up and expect the
worst.  Well, it isn't too bad.  Bent filter ring (I never use 'em) and a few
small nicks on the barrel front.  I consider myself lucky.  Both the lens
hood and shade still fit on the thing, so I'm saying no harm done.  Of
course, I can't return the lens if it isn't what I expect in picture taking,
but I'll live with it.

On a slightly better topic.  I find the 35/3.5 seems to be perfect for
photographing grain elevators in the midwest.

Of all the stupid things in the world to do, I've done them.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN