Subject: [Leica] TRAVELING WITH CAMERAS
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:52:30 EDT

I was on assignement in DJIBOUTI (Africa ) in 1991.
Walking throught the streets in daytime , my M6 with 35 summicron on the
shoulder , 2 locals came behind my and followed for a while .
One of them was carrying a newspaper  .  This one then passed me by the left
( I hang my leica on my right shoulder ) , and tried to make me read
something on the newspaper , showing it wide open .
The other ass h..e then expected to grab the strap of my camera , on the
right side .
But , what these idiots didn't know , was that I had been previously informed
of these tactics by friends being here for a longer period ...
So I fully compressed my left hand and send it with quite a huge force to the
face of the guy behind me , much to his surprise now.
You could hear the nice sound of his teeth being pulled out of there location
. The guy on the front was really surprised and tried to escape.
But then arrived the local police ( not known for the kind manners they
develop ) . they caught the yet untouched guy and immediatly beat him with
bats .  I supposed they knew them 2 and were looking at the scene from the
beginning ; the police didn't even talk to me .
The 2 guys had then to climb into the police truck and everyone went away .
So be carrefull if you see this kind of action .
Regards .
Jo goodtimes