Subject: [Leica] Re: Off topic - the Nikon F5
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 99 08:39:50 +1000

"Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net> wrote:

>I've owned the 85 f/1.8 Nikkor and I love the focal
>length but the lens isn't as good as my 90 Summicron-R

Hear-hear.  I used the AF version of the 85 f1.8 for
a year before I started using the 90mm Summicron-R.

The latter lens is *way* better, both mechanically
(no itsi-bitsi wobbly focus ring, but rather a smooth
focus action and metal lens body) and optically (the
bokeh at f2-f5.6 is really beautiful).

Since then have traded in the 90mm R for the APO 100mm R.
No contest - Nikon glass left standing in the dust.

Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net> added:

>Andrew Nemeth in Australia had a Nikon F2 modified to
>use Leica lenses.

The URL for photos of the camera and a blurb about the
conversion is:

<www.nemeng.com/equipment/index.html#f2ar>

Have had a chance to use the 'Frankenstein' camera a
fair bit since my initial post.  In short, was surprised
to learn just how easy it was to focus and compose an SLR
at working aperture (up to & including f8).

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
nemeng.com