Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Monaghan's on AF lenses..BSHIT!:)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:30:22 -0700

Dan C. wrote:

>It could be worse; we could be talking about fountain pens or whiskey, or
>automobiles, or Swiss watches, or.....god knows what else has dominated
>this list in the last few years.  At least this thread deals with cameras.>>>>

Hi Dan,

Yep I agree with you, but what I don't understand is everyone pumping about
cameras that have no relevance to leica in the sense of "autofocus."

And yes I'm the first to admit I've created topic drift to the single malt
scotch, but others seemed to fit it into drinking single malt scotch and
owning Leicas as a normal routine, compared to autofocus that really
doesn't come inline with Leica cameras of any kind at the moment. Not to
say that wont happen in the future!

Yes there are folks on the LUG that own and use other gear with the wonders
of autofocus, but I guess what I'm trying to get at is, this Monaghan
person is talking drivel if he is hanging his comments on a photo magazine
appraisal.

Many of those who use or have used autofocus cameras know his comments are
not quite correct, unless he's making his remarks in relation to a test
bench instead of real time shooting.  Then maybe, just maybe, one could see
the difference.  Although I doubt it very much.

This is a very tough call, as I'd opt for Leica clean glass focus any time
against autofocus, but when it comes to "speed action situations", no
matter how good one thinks they are at manual focus, I'd go with autofocus
any time.  And that comment is made from major experience using both!

And I make that statement as a manual focus shooter of international sports
for over 35 years, as well as plain old fashion home town sporting events.
Autofocus has a great advantage over manual any day. At one time I figured
I was fast at manual focus, but in reality, autofocus is faster than the
eye and hand!

But we are a Leica talk show here, and all the time spent on who is right
or wrong or quality of autofocus really doesn't amount to a hill of beans
when it comes to LEICA. Neither does scotch!  But at least scotch is
something most can relate to other than those who use auto focus cameras!
Which Leica aren't at the moment.

OK before I dig my grave any deeper, I'm outta here! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant