Subject: [Leica] Re: Summar
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:23:33 +1200

Hi Jonathan,

I messed with my Summar once and the aperture diaphragm became
square! There's nothing quite like the terror of watching those
fragile looking leaves unintentionally spill across your desk! I
finally got it back together some months later: at this time it's
hexagonal.

I hope i never have to "fix" it again!

Take care,
Gary

At 12:01 AM -0700 23/8/99, Jonathan wrote:
>Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:42:55 PDT
>From: "Jonathan Boulter" <jonathan_boulter@hotmail.com>
>Subject: [Leica] summar
>
>Hi Everybody,
>
>I recently got an old 50mm Summar and was wondering about the iris:  Mine
>seems to have 12 blades, but is hexagonal.  Is this normal, or has someone
>messed with it at some point?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jonathan Boulter

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of youthful
dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were the passive
conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during adolescence."

                 'The Uses of Disorder: Personal Identity and City Life'
                                             -- Richard Sennett
OO
[_]<|
  /|\