Subject: Kodachrome and E-6 (was Re: [Leica] 24 ASPH & Finder)
From: Ericplatt@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:57:22 EDT

Where can you get E-6 processed in two hours?  In Minnesota everyplace I've
checked has been 5 days minimum.  I can actually go to the same store, have
them mail Kodachrome to Rochester, and get it back quicker.  My best
turnaround on that has been three days.  Often I'll have to wait a week or
more to get E-6 developed.

Also, and this maybe only pertains around here, but Kodachrome is usually
cheaper to develop than any E-6 formulation.

As to the Kodachrome formulation.  Most of the serious railroad photographers
I know use Kodachrome exclusively.  First off, they find it is still the most
"neutral" for large objects such as trains.  Second, many of them are worried
about longevity.  There is a huge market out there for original railroad
slides done on Kodachrome.  And if a person is buying, they are going to be
worry if the image will still be there in 50 to 60 years.

Eric Platt