Subject: [Leica] Restitution, Rocketry and Radiation
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:36:17 -0400

To answer Don Rorschach's points in order:

First, reparations are the sort of thing Courts order folks to pay each
other all the time in civil suits and criminal ones, to boot.  It is NOT a
felony, Attorney Don to the contrary, for one civilian to take another's
property provided he does so in accordance with law.  And, precisely as the
loser in a civil lawsuit or a guilty party in a criminal case can be
ordered to pay the prevailing party for their losses, so it is with
nations.  The losing nation can be required to cough up reparations to the
winners.  And so it was with a lot of military technology at the end of the
Second World War:  in civil cases, we call it a judgement at law, in
criminal cases, we call it restitution, while in war it is known as
reparations.  In all three cases, it is perfectly legal.  (I suspect that
if Don's cameras were ripped off and the thief was caught, he would be
swallowing all of his high-falutin' philosophy while demanding that the DA
ask the Judge to order the thief to repay him for his losses by directing
restitution as part of the sentence.  And, if his gear were insured, then
the insurance company would be so requesting -- folks, I DO defend
criminals, and this is exactly what happens.)

Second, von Braun may have been as polite as he wanted to be when Don heard
him speak but the reality is that von Braun was not aware of Goddard until
his own team's designs were in place.  Von Braun was the team chief and had
many talented engineers under him:  he served, as a civilian before the
War, as a German government employee during the War, and as a US Army and
NASA employee after the War, as the team's administrator.  His own math
abilities really never came into play.  (Again, see Ley's ROCKETS,
MISSILES, AND SPACE TRAVEL:  von Braun was a close friend to Ley, and Ley
had served as his assistant before fleeing from Nazi Germany in the late
1930's.  Ley HAD heard of Goddard, incidentally.)

Third, it is a common myth spread by the ignorant that Einstein was
involved in the development of the Atomic Bomb.  He was not.  Several of
the other scientists, under the leadership of the American physicist
Conant, asked Einstein, in 1938, to write a letter to FDR, as Einstein was
the only one of them known outside the narrow world of nuclear physics.
Einstein did so.  The letter pointed out the significant German ability to
build a bomb if they invested the resources, and calling on the US to do it
first.  End of his involvement.  His own work was fundamental to the
development of nuclear physics but he himself was not a nuclear physicist.
Some months later, FDR set up the brain trust, under Conant, which
subsequently was to transmogrify into the Manhatten Project, in which
Einstein played no part at all.  Einstein's only role was as a publicist,
not as a mover-and-shaker.

(After my first post on this subject, I did think of one, lone German
scientist involved in the Manhatten Project, Klaus Fuchs.  Fuchs was a
Communist and fled Nazi Germany to settle in the UK and, I believe, later
on in Canada.  He was sent to the Manhatten Project as part of the UK's
contribution when they merged TUBE ALLOYS into the American effort.  He
also was an active spy for the USSR and, as recent findings in the KGB
files have revealed, gave the Soviets a substantial boost in their ability
to process plutonium.)

In general, the Manhatten Project was 95% engineering and 5% theory -- the
theory of the A-Bomb had been developed, and publicized, a decade earlier.
What the Manhatten Project did was to develop means of purifying uranium
and processing plutonium to use in the A-Bomb.  The rest of it was already
pretty well established.  (And, yes, the process to produce enriched U-235
or plutonium is ghastly expensive, which is the prime reason the Germans
never came close to getting the Bomb.)  Due to security concerns, the few
Germans working in the Project, such as Meitner and Bethe, were almost all
kept away from the hard engineering work which was the most deeply
classified part of the Project.

Don, you might want to subscribe to the WWII-L.  These issues are commonly
discussed there and in far more detail and with far more sources.  It would
be wonderful to see your intellectual development as you actually figure
out what you're talking about before you post something.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!