Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M6 vs M3/M4-2: viewfinder brightness
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:16:59 EDT

In a message dated 8/26/99 9:34:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time, wilcox@tir.com
writes:

<< In my experience with a limited number of Ms the M6 finder is a little more
 contrasty looking than an M2 3 or four. Brightness is about the same. This
 does not seem to matter in use. The M6 finder is also more prone to flare.
 This does make a difference in use.

 Ken Wilcox >>

When I first purchased my (secondhand) M4-2 from the original owner the
viewfinder was cloudy but after a CLA is now the same as my other M's (2's, 4
and 6's) in terms of brightness and clarity.  (Like anything else a Leica's
condition will depend on the kind of environment it has been subjected to.
Unlike many other cameras, though, short of a fire or some other major
catastrophe, most everything can be rectified by a competent repairperson.)
Most everyone notices right-off that the 90 framelines are of a different
style in the pre-M4-P models, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed that
the 50mm frame is larger (shows a slightly larger field of view) in the
M2-M4-M42 models?  Checking it out carefully I determined that the M4-P and
M6's 50 framelines show a field size for a 50 focused @ .7m while the M42 and
earlier are sized for the 50 @ 1m.  This makes sense in the M2 and M4 because
the close-focusing distance of the 50 Summicron used to be 1m until the 11817
came out in 1969, but evidently the frame was not resized until the M4-P
which had an entirely new set of framelines.  For someone using an older
Summicron, or the Summilux (which I believe focuses to 1m? How about the
Noctilux?) the M42 or M4 would be more accurate at the extreme closeup.  It's
not very much folks...but Leica trivia is fun ; )

DT