Subject: Re: [Leica] PhD qualifications
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:51:24 +0000

Reminds me of how it was in Sweden in days gone by.  If your husband was a
captain in the armed forces, then you were 'kaptenskan' There was this
woman who divorced her captain husband (or he her), but when he got
promoted to major, she became 'majorskan' although they had been separated
for years.

>When I was completing my doctorate many years ago, one of my supervisors
>brought me down to earth with the comment, " Because of the requirement of
>originality, most PhDs are experts in a subject so important that nobody
>else has bothered to research it".
>
>I agree with  Jonathan Lee about the social use of the "Doctor"  title
>(unless in Germany where a person with two doctorates is addressed as "Herr
>doctor doctor" and his wife as "Frau doctor, doctor").  Most of the people I
>have observed who use it socially were either  awarded an H.C. degree for a
>large contribution to the awarding institution or answered an advertisement
>in the back of The Economist or Time Magazine for "degrees based upon
>lifetime experience", and money, of course. (Education - sometimes physical
>education - and Sociology excepted)
>Regards,
>Doug McLernon
>Dublin, Ireland

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58