Subject: Re: Leica Users digest V11 #21 [Leica] Frame Selector gone bad on M6
From: Bernard Delgado <delgado@nytimes.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:15:53 -0500

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:15:39 -0400
From: "Ernest Nitka" <enitka@twcny.rr.com>
Subject: [Leica] Frame Selector gone bad on M6

The frame selector on my M6 went out and the frame is permanently on the
35/135 frames - took me awhile to notice as i use my 35 alot.  Anyone on the
list with a similar problem/repair?  is this likely a big deal?  I'm typing
the letter to Leica now but would appreciate anyone's thoughts

ernie ( back to the M4 for awhile)
- -----------------------
Yes! Last Oct. I spent a weekend outdoors shooting a CivilWar re-enactment.
It was great, but as I changed from my 35 to my 90mm...the frames wouldnt
change. The frames selector wont work.
Goldentouch told me that the camera would have to be opened up to replace
an internal sprng or something.
Oh, I think I showed it to some Leica people at a camera store session. My
M6 is in good shape & they agreed that it really didnt need an
overhaul....but I'd basically have to get it overhauled to fix the spring.

I'm not sure why the spring broke, I think it mightve been the warm day &
then frigid evening ourdoors.

Since I prefer the 90 & 50 on my M3, I'll just wait a while till the camera
really needs the overhaul. Yes, I feel the M6 works best w/ a 35mm anyway.

But it does stink & further confirms my feeling that I shouldve just stuck
w/ my M3.
incidentally, I think the camera was only about 3 years old when the
problem occured.
_Bernard