Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Proper care for new M6
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 08:44:02 -0700

Kevin  wrote:
I wanted to know, some tips on how to keep my M6 in top shape when it arrives.

1. I've heard of people putting some kind of sleave on the strap rings to

   protect the camera. Any details?

2. I've heard that you can burn a hole in your curtain from the sun. How
careful
   do I need to be? Do I have to keep the sun out of any part of the frame
while
   shooting?

3. The lens seems like it has grease in the focusing grooves. Does it tend
   collect dirt over time?

4. Any other tips so that it stays nice for years?

Jim Brick responded:

<<<<There is only one answer to your question(s). Use the hell out of your
M6. Carry it everywhere, crank that film through, shoot shoot shoot. Don't
baby it. The more it's used, the better it will perform. And the better it
will look and feel. A happy M6 is a well used M6. If you want to have a
"perfect" M6 for all time. Buy another and lock it in a safe.>>>>>>>

Mark Rabiner responded:

<<<<<<It says in the little book that comes with the lens that the grease
is OK.
I think it said "don't use too much Vaseline" but I'm making it too easy for
some people out there.
I've seem my lenses come like that too and it all blends in somehow and is OK.
A case will turn your camera into an awkward clunker but will sure protect it.
Black tape will protect your camera from a variety of gamma rays, the van Allen
belts you name it.,,
thieves, over envious Yuppies. The red dot is not good to stare at for long
periods of time. You close your eyes fast and it is a green dot and that is
disconcerting.
Like Jim has just implied: make it a user.
It's a tool.  A hammer not a glass unicorn.>>>>>>

Hi Kevin,
The above comments from working user photographers is excellent advice,
follow it and you'll have many years of fun and great picture taking. If
you don't use it, like they say,......."You'll loose it!" Like you'll be so
concerned about a teensy mark here or there, you'll put it on the shelf and
never take it out of the box.

Use it every opportunity you can, never leave home without it, have it at
your side like your clothes and you'll begin to amass some good photo
material. I mean, did you buy it to sit on the shelf and look pretty, to
show friends and family your new toy? Or did you buy it to take pictures?

To hell with all the advice about cases required, sleeves for the neck
straps, worries about burning holes in the curtain, keeping the lens cap on
etc. Just work the hell out of the camera and it'll give you many years of
excellent picture taking opportunities.

Of course it cost a bundle, but that doesn't mean you have to baby it like
some jewel of the Nile, it means handlng it and using it with common sense
and that's the operative advice one can give...."Common Sense!" Obviously
you're not going to use it for opening beer bottles or hammering nails :)

So load it up, get out side or some place and start excerising those
shutter speeds and apertures! Good hunting and successful pictures.

And of course, use an old well worn pair of "clean " soft undershorts to
keep the lens clean and the body wiped off occaisionaly! :)  This is known
as the TG method of cleaning. :):)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant