Subject: Re: [Leica] is summicron multicoated?
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:49:44 -0500

I believe that all non-collapsible 50 mm Summicrons were coated.  The term
multi-coating has been used by some (i.e. Nikon) as a marketing tool.  What's
important is that the lens was coated as Leitz determined to be necessary.
Summicrons were/are state-of-the art lenses throughout their long, illustrious
life span.

I can remember when Nikon brought out their multi-coated lenses.  Those new
lenses were much better than their predecessors but none of the multi-coated
AI-S Nikkors that I've owned could produce the color rendition/beauty of
Kodachrome slides made with my Rigid Summicron.

I wouldn't get hung up on the term multi-coating.

BTW, the major differences I see between the original Rigid Summicron and the
current one is primarily one of contrast, especially wide open.  The latest
lenses also have a slightly cleaner look (whites are truly white w/using
Kodachrome).

Bud