Subject: [Leica] More fun w/Noctilux and M3
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:19:11 -0400

Following my earlier posting about the "looseness" of the Noctilux on my
M3, I spent a pleasant couple of hours fiddling around with both.  I offer
a few conclusions based on the purely empirical nature of my research.  To wit:

Both the 50/1 and the 75/1.4 exhibit a similar propensity to uncouple from
the M3.  Through repeated and accurate testing, I determined that there's
enough play in the M3 lens flange locking mechanism to allow for lateral
movement of the lens in the mount (rather than the rotating movement that
mounts and locks the lens).  Often this movement (< .1mm) is sufficient to
lift machined notch in the lens flange clear of the locking pin, which in
turn, allow a minor rotation to loosen the lens in the mount.

For the purposes of experimentation, I adjusted the height of the locking
pin by shimming it w/ a bit of film-stock (it's tougher to describe this
than to do it).  This modification dramatically improves the security of
the lens.

This accomplished, I thought to examine the degree of wear in the mount be
comparing it with an M4P.  The 50/1 and 75/1.4 mount securely to the M4P
with *no* play whatsoever.  What I notice immediately is this: the M4P
mount was re-engineered precisely to correct this problem w/ the M3.  The
M4P beefs up the lug directly beneath the locking pin, in effect,
increasing the coupled lug-to-flange surface area of the lens/body mounts,
which, in turn, prevents lateral movement in the lens.  The M3 relies more
than the M4P on the spring tension of the mount to secure the lens.  I
don't use an M6, but I assume that it incorporates the M4P design or some
refinement of it.

Preliminary conclusion:  while the M3 VF is wonderfully well suited to the
Noctilux, I'm not entirely certain that the mount is robust enough safely
to accommodate the lens.  I'm not going to stop using it, but I offer these
observations as a caution . . .

Chandos

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown