Subject: Re: [Leica] Seeing vs photography (was: BOKEH of 35mm lenses)
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:12:29 +0200

At 5:28 pm +0200 30/8/99, Dan Post wrote:
snip
>I think it would be very interesting to know if Leica uses any biological
>research, or actually test subjects on which their optical systems are
>tested- possibly they can, with the help of computer modeling, examine the
>'virtual' bokeh of hundreds of formulae, and pursue only those that have the
>possibility of making an image that is 'pleasant to the human eye. I almost
>would bet the rent money on it! They come up with so many innovative, and
>good designs, that they must use some sort of testing with actual images to
>arrive at these lenses!
snip

Dan-
With the help of a neuro-computer, perhaps.  ;-)
Minolta is making some effort and progress (?).  They recently released an
STF 135/3.5 lens that includes two apodisation filters.  They say, "This
techinique works to minimise two-line bokeh and give images similar to those
human eyes perceive".  I do not know who had the original idea, but this
approach seems practical for consumer's products.

When a Zeiss engineer was asked if Zeiss takes bokeh into consideration, he
answered, "We are concerned exclusively about highest image quality in
focus."  This is what I read in an interview article in a certain
photojournal.  How about Leica?

Cheers,

Mikiro
Strasbourg