Subject: Re: [Leica] Southern CA cheap place to stay?
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 14:57:52 -0500

Eric Welch wrote:

> I'm heading to Carlsbad, CA for a job interview. Any ideas for a cheap
> place to stay? (Being unemployed, this is a critical issue here). And to
> get on topic, and great Leica stores that are open on Saturday?
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
>
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math

Eric -

When last I stayed in Carlsbad a couple of years ago, I used the Motel 6
which as I recall was on the east end of town, hard by the highway.  You
could walk to most of "downtown" Carlsbad from there - I think it was about
6 or 8 blocks to the oceanfront road.  There's a Denny's across the parking
lot.  I don't recall seeing any serious camera shops in the area, let alone
any selling Leica, although I wasn't looking for them specifically.

That's a lovely part of the world, but be prepared to be shocked (shocked!)
at the prices of some things, particularly homes.  It's not as bad there as,
say, LaJolla to the south or Newport Beach to the north, but Carlsbad is
still a relatively upscale place on the coast, so be sure to factor the real
cost of living there into your analysis of any offer you may get.  My
friends who live there say you can save a bundle on housing by moving a few
miles inland, but it gets hotter and dryer there, and you may have a worse
commute, depending on where your workplace is.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Cheers,
Kip Babington