Subject: [Leica] M8 yes......M7 no
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 20:19:12 -0700 (PDT)

I believe that the current thinking at Solms is not to
try to improve or modify the M6 thus creating an M7,
but rather "leap-frog" to the M8.  There may be some
future modifications to the M6 view finder, but I
think that will be it.

The M8 (or what ever Herr Cohn chooses to call it)
will be an extremely sophisticated point and shoot
with a fixed 28-70 zoom lens.  I believe that it will
be similar to the Rollei QZ35 concept.  Leica though
will refine the concept so that it exceeds the publics
expectations.  With this, I suspect that will be going
after a segment of the pro market...after all, it's is
really a pain to lug that F5 around all the time.

The Rollei QZ35 appears to have failed for several
reasons.  (1) They did not have the necessary
distribution.  If a person wanted to look at one, it
was almost impossible to find.  (2) The camera fell
short of the publics expectations.  (3) The service
policy of the Rollei USA distributor 'scared the hell'
out of everybody.  As I understand it, they stated
that they would not service any camera that did not
come through the Rollei USA warehouse.  If the camera
was a grey market item and was purchased unknowingly
from a dealer...that's tough.  If the camera was a
gift and was a grey market camera...that's tough.  If
you purchased the camera while on vacation in Europe
(or where ever)...that's tough.  All in all, it was a
very poorly thought out policy for a company that was
trying to increase their market share.

It is going to be very interesting to see what the
people at Solms come up with.

Acutally, what we need is a spy on the inside to feed
us information.  So, if you work at the factory at
Solms and want to feed Leica users some information or
gossip, let me know and I will give you a confidential
e-mail address where you can send us inside
information.

Kind regards,
Bill
m6rf@yahoo.com