Subject: Re: [Leica] R Superwide Questions
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:50:20 -0400

Bud-
Leica sent me a list of compatible upgrades, and for the life of me, I can't
find it! However, they told me that they could retrofit almost all the
lenses with three cams. Now I got this info a couple of years ago- I had
four two-cam lenses converted to three-cams, and it was not too costly- then
it was $175 for one, but if you did three or more at one time, they did it
for $125 per lens! Usually you can get a really nice two cam lens and have
it converted for less than what the comparable three cam lens will cost-
just takes a little effort.
I would think that if you used the older cameras, like I do, that if the
lens is a 'keeper' and you use it sufficiently, then the retro conversion
might be worth while.
Unless you are a kook like me, and really like the old SLs, the three cams
are superfluous with the newer bodies!
How apparent is the difference between the older and the newer 19? I looked
at negatives, TRI-X that I did with the old version, and under a 40x
microscope, I could not convince myself that it could get any sharper than
it was! Even the 'old' glass is mighty impressive, and the fact that I
passed up getting it for less than 1300 USD, in the box, has bothered me
ever since!
Dan
- - Next year, a 19!