Subject: Re: [Leica] User report 25 Skopar
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:56:07 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 05:04 PM 9/2/99 +0200, you wrote:
> >Therefore I always close half a stop before taking a picture
> >(one stop if the subject is bright).
>
> Nope, my meter is dead on. By close, you mean a lower number? Stopping down
> on bright objects will underexpose.
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
>
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> The distinction between past, present and future is only an illusion, even
> if a stubborn one. - Albert Einstein

Lots of people don't know a meter reading "places" that tone you've metered to
middle grey.
If you go with the meter reading then you've placed whatever tone you've metered
to middle grey.
So if you meter a light tone you've generally got to give your camera more
exposure than the reading to lighten it up to be correct.
A popular misconception in my opinion.
Mark Rabiner