Subject: [Leica] Nice Leica story.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 07:27:58 -0700

Hi All,

Here's a nice Leica story.

We were shooting in a senior citizens home yesterday and while doing a shot
in the patio-garden the director of the home asked this "old chap" if he
wouldn't mind being in the scene. When we were finished he came over
walking quite sprightly and looked at my R8 and winder.

To my amazement he said, "My that's a new fangled looking Leica, I had a
Leica  one time, lost it in the war."  "What happened to it? I asked.

"My armoured unit was over run by a German Panzer outfit and we were
captured, tank and all. Including all it's gear and my Leica. I had taken
up photography as a hobby and bought the Leica before the war, so I took
the camera with me overseas."

"When we were searched, a German officer saw the Leica and wanted to know
where I had got it. He assumed I had taken it from a German soldier so he
wanted it back. I explained I bought it in Canada before the war and it was
ligitimately mine."

However he took it and said, "Well now it's ligitmately mine!" and that was
the last I saw of it! After the war I never took up the hobby again, but I
did miss my Leica as it always felt so comfortable in my hands."

I suggested he might like to hold my R8, but he declined, afraid he might
drop it.  "Would you like to see the camera that re-placed your wartime
loss?"  I held up an M6 which he reached for.  I put the neck strap over
his head, he instinctively put the M6 to his eye.

" They don't make them like the old ones!" he smiled.  "But it does feel
nice, I wish I had gotten another after the war, it was such a fun hobby."

While firmly shaking my hand, he thanked me for bringing him up to date on
Leica's and was completely blown away with their cost today, then went on
his way.

The Director of the home asked, "How old do you think he is?"  "Probably
late eighties." I responded. She says, "102 and still plays golf!!" I
looked at the "old fella?" as he walked along, every once in a while he
stopped to smell a rose.

102? I should be so lucky, so many things to do and places to photograph.

My assistant interruped my thoughts, "Ted there's hope for you yet, that
means you've got 32 more years as a photographer! You'll get them all
done!" :)

Thought you guys and gals might like this little anecdote of a Leica
photographer. Actually, two Leica photographers! :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant