Subject: [Leica] advice
From: Chris Madigan <cmadigan@Monad.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:56:32 -0400

Hi,
I  have just added my name to  the LUG list and received a ton of
interesting email and learned some things to boot. I mostly work with a
Nikon FM2 and F3HP but also use a Leica M-3 with 50mm  Summicron,
shooting lots of chromes and black and white. I have recently re
acquired a desire for an M-6 (primarily for the simplicity of in camera
metering) and I am trying to decide what to get. I prefer using natural
light so I suspect that I don't need the new TTL system (which I am
assuming is geared to using flash?)  and can save a few hundred dollars.
Other questions have to do with USA passport vs imported direct or even
buying overseas, and new vs demo or used. The $ is less for used but
then there is the up coming cleaning and adjustment which will be needed
and seems to come to almost what the savings are for buying used.  Same
with lenses- new vs used. What is the improvement of the Asph lenses?
The kit that I'd like to have is the black M-6 with a 35/f 2 Suummicron
M, a 90/f 2 or 2.8  and perhaps a 50. The 50 that I already have is
naturally chrome.Cost is an important factor, but if I am going to do
this I don't want to be penny  wise and pound foolish as they say.  I am
very open to your suggestions.
I am in southern New Hampshire and would probably travel to New York (
which I can do in a day) to find the best price. Any preference on who
to use , or not?

I hear that I can get better pricing by coming in at a "Leica Day" when
the rep is there making a big push.

Thanking you in advance.
Sincerely Yours,
Chris Madigan