Subject: [Leica] ...works by Raghubir Singh....
From: "claire" <clairetm@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 00:10:00 +0800

Has anyone seen/read the works of Raghubir Singh ? I just borrowed one of
his 10 photo-essay books on India, his homeland, from my local neighbourhood
library..... and my, his works are fantastic !!!!!! He was also featured in
"Popular Photography" just a few months back.

What I'm curious is that his pics are very much like as if they were
executed thru "rangefinder technique" but  I was rather surprised to find
out (from Pop Photography) that they were taken using one of his several
old Nikon FA SLR almost exclusively. When asked why, he said the major
deciding factor was the250 flash sync speed .

Of course pics like these can be achieved with an SLR, but I thot , wouldn't
all these pics could have been easier obtained thru a rangefinder camera ?
Is there such a thing as a type of picture that a rangefinder camera can
capture which an SLR can't ? Or maybe Singh took tons of pics (which he said
he did) and cropped like crazy.....

Any comments ?

Rgds
TMLee