Subject: Re: [Leica] Which seperate meter?
From: cbabing3 <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 12:49:21 -0500

Guy Bennett wrote:

> <snip>   i need to consider the purchase
> of a seperate meter <snip>
>
> does any one have any preferences, not only in terms of brands, but also
> regarding analogue/digital meters.

Well, you'll probably get at least half as many different suggestions as you
get answers, but my strong preference is the Quantum Calculite XP.  It's
digital in the sense that pressing the Measure button gives a digital number
(LED) in a small window, but the exposure information comes from a dial on
which you set this digital number, opposite either the incident or reflected
indices, depending on how you measured.  I like having all the speed/aperture
combinations displayed at once, and they don't go away or get forgotten when
the meter times out.  The LED goes out when you release the button, but the
last reading is stored until you press the metering button again, and can be
recalled at any time with the recall button.  These two buttons are the only
moving parts to the meter aside from the rotating calculator dial and the front
piece which has the incident and reflected windows - you loosen a thumb screw,
rotate the appropriate window into place over the meter cell, and tighten
down.  The meter is light and apparently rugged, and fairly small.  Downside is
that it uses 4 of the S76 batteries, but they're only on for about a second for
a measurement and then however often you recall the reading, and they only have
to power two LED digits - I've not replaced batteries in the 18 months I've had
the meter.  I just bought another one of these meters for my kid's college
photography course for $50 at one of the local professional camera shops,
although my first one cost twice that (used, from KEH.)

My next favorite meter for taking along with an M is the Sekonic 308.  Just as
small as the Quantum, and runs on 1 AA battery.  It does incident, reflected
and flash, and displays the appropriate aperture (including 10ths) on an LCD
screen with the shutter speed you selected - you change the displayed exposure
combination with up/down buttons.  This meter does about a one second battery
check when you turn it on (which I find annoying compared to the Quantum, which
is always instantly ready), and it turns itself off after a minute or so, at
which point the last reading is lost.  These two deatils may not matter to you,
and if you like the LCD display this is a dynamite basic.

If you decide on the Quantum let me know off list and I'll give you some
details about how not to forget which of the index windows to use.

Cheers,
Kip Babington