Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica's First Quarter: M Up, R in the Toilet
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 21:56 +0100 (BST)

Larry Kopitnik wrote:

> R system sales, on the other hand, are down another 14% compared to the
> first quarter of last year. That's after plummeting 44% in the first
> quarter of last year compared to the year before.

When I was at Solms a couple of weeks ago, I was told that morale in the
factory was low, because around 100 people were being let go.

Most, apparently, were involved in R8 production. When I asked if the
figure I'd heard of 5,000 unsold R8s was true, they wouldn't confirm it,
but did say that they had large numbers of unsold R8s.

We suggested that they give away an R8 body to all Akademie attendees, but
they didn't take the idea up. :-)